Friday, September 23, 2011

Let's get real!

The first item of business!!! BREASTFEEDING... I feel like writing about this because, well I have been on both sides of the fence. I have 2 children 1 was formula fed right out of the womb (well 1 week after) baby#2 which is currently 6 weeks old is getting breastfed.. With my first child i was told breastfeeding was an amazing bonding moment a time where you and your child can relax and enjoy each others company.............(did your sibling ever give you a titi twister when she saw you were finally growing boobs??? I ask you this question..was that BONDING!!!!..NO!!) Breastfeeding hurts like heck I'm gonna be honest!! I was thinking that it was gonna be a walk in the park but during my walk I got jumped by nipple biting Purana's!! I truly felt like a failure. I wanted to feed her but she would make me cry from the pain and also bleed. I thought this was not normal! so I quit! I popped a warm bottle in her mouth and felt the bonding begin.. but with baby #2 I thought I need to try harder maybe he will learn to latch on right. Sure enough the pain began at day 2 I looked at my hubby and said "would you be disappointed in me if i quit"...I felt so much pressure to continue breastfeeding not just from my husband but from friends,family and others..They weren't telling me do it, do it!! it was a silent pressure the one that kills!!!(or the pressure that is only in YOUR head) I was so glad my nurse that discharged me from the hospital was honest she said " oh honey it hurts soo bad especially the first week when you are still contracting and with each child it will hurt worse but after the first 2 weeks it will get better and after the month you will get use to it and hopefully enjoy it" ..eekk so 6 weeks later it still hurts but I'm finally finding the joy in it..I'm sure there are a lot of you out there feeling like me..you wanna quit but then you don't..that choice is only up to YOU. In my experience I have attempted both my daughter is healthy and smart as can be and she was formula fed. Baby#2 SAME! It is an amazing thing to breastfeed once you get your mind in a right place and focus on what your doing and not the pain of it..As women we need to get real and be honest with new moms and moms to be, not scare the living monkeys out of them but teach them that there is pain involved so they don't end up feeling like me..disappointed in myself because I thought my body wasn't working properly,that I wasn't doing things right. That I was a failure..You bond with your child whether you breastfeed them or not the love you will have for them will be just as strong and I'm sure lots of you can testify to that!! I love my children even if one boob is bigger then the other!!!

Quick tips from a Novus:
*Lanolin!! use this all the time you can buy it at any drugstore or walmart..Use this especially when showering its a life saver!!!
*Water! drink lots!
*Fenugreek! this helped my milk supply improve
*Pillow a good pillow makes your first experiences more comfortable I had a boppy but it didnt work for me! I just used my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment